When it comes to having electrical work performed in your home, it is important to know that many tasks require approval by your local authority’s Building Control department. This is usually necessary unless you have a qualified domestic electrics tradesman who is registered with a Competent Person Scheme to do the job.

If the electrical work in your home does not meet a suitably high standard:

·         The electrical work may not be safe and has the potential to put your home and family in danger.

·         You may find yourself struggling to sell your home if you fail to provide the correct electrical safety certificates.

·         Your local authority’s Building Control department may tell you that your electrical work needs correcting.

What electrical work must be notified to Building Control?

Your local authority’s Building Control needn’t be notified about all the electrical work you intend on doing. If you are unsure of what electrical work requires notice in your area, we advise you to get in touch with your local authority’s Building Control department. They will give you all the information you need regarding what domestic electrics work must be approved.

How do I notify my electrical work?

There are two ways in which the Government recognises how you should notify Part P electrical work.

The first is, as mentioned, direct notification through your local authority’s building control department. In this scenario, whoever owns the property is responsible for contacting Building Control directly. A Building Control Officer will then inspect the installation and provide you with a certificate.

The second approach is via self-certification through a qualified tradesman who is also registered with a Part P competent persons scheme. These are tradesmen who are perfectly qualified to perform electrical work in accordance with safety rules and can issue you with a certificate of compliance on completion. They will also deal with Building Control so that you don’t have to.

Need an electrical contractor for your property?

Electrical safety is something you should never compromise on, price included. At CEB, we are proud to offer the very best when it comes to rewiring and electrical safety. To learn more about our services, get in touch.

Case Studies

Take a look at work we have done

New-build Domestic House

electrical planning and installation

Watson Homes: McLaren Place, Salford

SB Projects: Builder/property developer in Sale area

The Gateway: 12 Apartments

Read our Blog

Find out what we've been up to

CEB Electrics commercial and domestic covering Manchester

From commercial to domestic, there is no project too big or too small for CEB Electrics. Whatever problem or project you may be faced with, we are more than happy to talk about what you may need.

Fill in the contact form for any enquiries you may have or to arrange a site visit. We are more than happy to visit to establish a quote depending on the type and size of the project, ensuring you will be happy with everything.

Get in touch with us